Friday, February 1, 2008

Akshay : Chandni Chowk to Bollywood

You can take a guy out of Chandni Chowk but you can’t take Chandni Chowk out of him. If you really want to check the veracity of that claim, try Akshay Kumar.

The moment that oh-so-suave filmstar veneer slips just a little bit, the Chandni Chowk ka munda is clearly obvious. And now that he is here in Delhi, shooting for his “autobiographical movie” Chandni Chowk to China, the guy cannot be happier.

“There is but a little twist, my real life moved towards Bollywood rather than China,” says the actor with a hearty laugh as he gets ready to give us an exclusive picture of his new look. In case you missed, ‘India’s sexiest Dad’ is sporting a bodhi, a paunch and an uncouth attitude in the film. “That’s my look in the film. And I want you to click me in front of the Old Fort like I own it... like how every tourist gets his pictures clicked here,” he says.

That done to his and our satisfaction, he is back to Chandni Chowk – his favourite topic. “I was born in Paranthewali Gali and I remember all of it vividly... Sheeshganj Gurudwara, Gyaan di Kulfi and the food you get here! People even have a different way of talking here with all that ‘ Haan, sun be oye’ ,” he laughs, “In fact, I plan to take the entire crew and cast to Chandni Chowk and treat them to the food here.”

Now, that will be a nice break for the actor who has been kept busy this year by hit films and award shows. “Life is progressing much better than I had expected it to. And I am enjoying every bit of it. I am not the kinds to crib that I have go to work again today. Instead, I can’t wait to get started everyday. I have this fixed schedule: I do my workout, I drop my son to school, I go to work and I then spend time with my family,” Akki says.

But he is not the all-work-and-no-play kinds either. “I take a break every three months and go for a break wherever my wife wants to. This time she wanted to go for a cruise. My family never stays away from me. My wife has joined me in Delhi and we will be going to China together too. Every place is just a flight away,” he says.

Flying high sure comes easy to Akki. And don’t expect the man to be too modest about his success either. “I am happy to know that last year I did a business of Rs 531 crore through my movies. No solo actor has ever done this kind of business. I am glad that my filmmakers get to make profitable movies through me and that keeps me going,” he smiles.

1 comment:

Nirmal Simon said...

I love hindi songs!Check out freehindilyrics.com it has awesome lyrics from thousands of songs